The following are UC Berkeley policies and general financial managmeent best practices:
- We cannot pay honoraria or stipends to group organizers
- All reimbursements must be requested after the event, but no more that 45 days after the event or after the expense was made, whichever date comes first.
- If, instead of a reimbursement, you would like CLACS to make the purchase for you, let us know.
- Lodging must be less than federal rate of $189/night (pre-tax amount; can be more with taxes).
- Airfare must comply with Fly America Guideslines or allowable exceptions. More information here.
- Meals must be less than the federal rate of $74/day. To request reimbursement for meals, please submit a guest list including affiliations with the university, and an itemized receipt that shows what food/drink was purchased.
- We cannot pay honoraria to UC Berkeley students or faculty (for more on UC Berkeley policies on honoraria, see this link)
- Minimum honorarium for virtual events: $150
- Minimum honorarium for in-person events: $250
- Honoraria payments will be processed after the event
- Taxes are taken from honorarium. Please note that U.S. Federal income tax withholding rate is generally 30% on most income payments to foreign persons (including honorarium). California State income tax will be withheld at the rate of 7% from any payment over $1500.00. More information on honoraria is here.
- Events will be publicized on the Berkeley Events Calendar, on CLACS social media, and in the CLACS listserve.
- Please complete the Publicity Information Form
- Publicity Examples: Portuguese language event | Large panel discussion | Book talk | Film Screening | Bilingual Event
- If CLACS co-sponsorship support is more than $500, you should submit an entry for the CLACS blog after the event.
- Use of the UC Berkeley CLACS logo and name is granted for promotion of CLACS-sponsored programs. Do not use in other contexts.
- Downloads available at this link
Co-sponsorships and Credit
- Please give credit to CLACS with the following language: "Organized by [name or group] and co-sponsored by the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies."
- Do not use "presented by the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies" without express approval from CLACS.